Tuesday, January 17, 2012

What Ya Got a-Cookin', part 2


I truly wish I had paid more attention to Mama’s cooking when I was younger.  She was one of those kitchen maestros who could just toss in a bit of this and a pinch of that to make something supremely yummy.  Me?  I need details, man; give me a fully annotated step-by-step recipe to follow. 

My big sister JoAnn is the only one of us to pick up on Mama’s cooking skills (she told me to say that)  and she is an excellent cook in her own right, with lasagna and quiche as her specialties (she didn't tell me to say that). Thank goodness JoAnn moved beyond the ghoulish goulash she used to make every Saturday when were younger. She had learned to make that in home ec and was quite pleased with her ability to feed her younger (and often ungrateful) siblings.   In later years when she and Mama cooked together, our taste buds were always in for a treat.  

For years I badgered JoAnn to write up Mama’s recipe for Brunswick Stew so I could attempt it.  Thankfully, just a few months before Mama died, she and JoAnn spent a day cooking together.  While Mama created her legendary stew, JoAnn measured and wrote.  Here is what they came up with.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we have!

Mary Lue’s Brunswick Stew

3 lbs Boston Butt, roasted or cooked slowly in crockpot until tender
3 lbs Stew Beef, cooked; save broth
3 cans stewed tomatoes
4 large potatoes, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 can cream corn
2 cans whole corn
1 can tomato sauce
1 bottle ketchup (use ½ to 1 bottle)
2 tble Tobasco sauce
Salt, Pepper, Garlic & Hot Sauce to taste

Mix all ingredients except corn in a big pot.  Simmer about 2 hours until done.
Add seasonings to taste.
Add corn the last 30-45 minutes of cooking to prevent sticking.
Have extra beef broth on hand if you need to thin the stew.
Stir frequently to prevent sticking.

This should make about 2 gallons of wonderfully delicious stew.

Note: We use frozen veggies because they have less sodium.  We also like to add Lima Beans.  You can also add more onions, potatoes, or tomatoes to taste, as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment