Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I'm a Blogger!

Why become a Blogger??

Years ago while living in Florida we took our children to the quintessential Florida attractions: Disney World and Epcot Center.  At Epcot our kids were captivated by what they called the "giant golf ball" ride.  I'm not sure what it is today, but back then it was a roller coaster adventure depicting the history of communication.  As we turned and twisted uphill and down, we passed a series of vignettes from caveman times to the (then) present showing how the ability to communicate with others had advanced. As the ride continued it occurred to me that the figures in those scenes represented Real People ... real FORGOTTEN people.  And I began to cry.

(Okay, okay, I know it's silly - a grown woman crying on a Disney ride - but what can I say?  I freely admit ... I'm a soft-hearted sap.  I cry during TV commercials and tear up when people win game shows because I'm happy for them.  And don't even get me started on sappy books and movies!)

Anyway, that got me to thinking about my own ancestors.  Who were they?  What were their lives like? What were their talents/skills/abilities?   Who did I get my love of singing from?    Did they like corn-on-the-cob and chocolate and grapes as much as I do?  Were they short like me?  I wanted to get to know them and thus was born my love of family history.  It all started on a Disney roller coaster.

Next came the thought: What about me?  I don't want to be forgotten, either! Hence, this Blog.  Someday my descendants (should my married offspring ever decide to give me some grandchildren!) may want to know what their Grandma Carol was like.  If so, somewhere floating around in the ether will be my thoughts and observations as recorded in this Blog. 

Some of my posts will be silly or trivial, some thought-provoking, some funny, some sad ... just like my life.  I hope they will enjoy getting to know me.

1 comment:

  1. Did you know there are places that will print your blog into a book, pictures and all? I'd like to do that with mine someday.

    ReplyDelete