Tuesday, April 10, 2012

If It's Good Enough for Grandma ....


We humans are such creatures of habit … we do things because that’s the way it’s always been done.  For example, when I started shaving my legs I used soap on my legs because that’s all we had and that’s what Mama did.  It wasn’t until years and years later when one of my daughters said, “guys use shaving cream, why don’t we?” that I realized there was another (better) way.

That reminds me of a story I once read:  A young man was watching as his new bride prepared a pot roast for dinner.  She very carefully sliced off a bit of both ends of the roast before placing it in the pan.  When he asked why she did that, she said that’s how she learned from her mom.  Later while visiting the in-laws, he asked his mother-in-law why she cut off the ends of the roast.  She told him that was the way her mom always did it.  Finally, he asked the grandmother why she cut of the ends.  Her reply?  “Because it was too large to fit in my pan!”

How many things to we do because that is the way it is “always” done?  How many new and exciting things are we missing out on because it does not occur to us that we can do things differently?

As a children, one my brothers’ and sisters’ favorite snacks was banana sandwiches – no, not the deep fried kind that Elvis enjoyed – but very tasty, nonetheless.  First, you take a couple of slices of bread (we  used Sunbeam) and spread them with mayo or salad dressing (I’m partial to Miracle Whip), then you slice a banana into small circles, place them on one slice of the prepared bread, top with the other slice, and Enjoy!

Hey, don’t knock it … a banana sandwich with a glass of milk?  Doesn’t get much better than that!

For years I prepared sandwiches this way and enjoyed my delicious treat even as I got aggravated by those sweet slippery little circles that kept sliding out of my sandwich.  One day while making sandwiches for my children, I dared to try something different – first, I cut the banana in half, then sliced those halves lengthwise.  Voila! No more small circles sliding out. (This is how my children now prepare theirs, because that’s how their mama taught them.) 

Sometime later I was visiting my sister and watched as she sliced a banana into circles for her sandwich.  Without saying a word, I proceeded to make mine the “new improved” way, feeling quite smug in my superior knowledge.  I’m pretty sure she makes hers “my” way these days.

There is another area where I’ve been slow to learn. When bathing, we always use soap and a washcloth, right?  That's what my mama did and what my grandma did.   My daughters, though, tend to be a bit more forward thinking, so as teenagers they started buying sponges and body wash.  Such a silly extravagance, I thought.  Why would I want to scrub my body with a scratchy chunk of nylon?  And why isn’t plain old-fashioned soap good enough?  It’s like that “old time religion” – if it’s good enough for Grandma, it’s good enough for me!

A few weeks ago I found a bottle of Cherry Blossom/Bamboo Oil body wash on sale for a couple of bucks.  It sounded interesting, so I figured why not?  Then I splurged on a pink nylon sponge.  (I was sure Grandma must be rolling over in her grave!)  I was anxious to learn what all the fuss was about regarding body washes and sponges.

Oh. My. Goodness!  My skin felt so rejuvenated and tingly and baby soft …. Why had I been denying myself?? 

Now I’m wondering what other fascinating things I’ve been missing out on because I have been too stuck in the “old” ways.  What else can I try or do?  I look forward to finding out!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE banana sandwiches! I am definitely going to make them lengthwise from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...I love a banana sandwich. I am also a creature of habit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many years ago a friend made peanut butter & banana sandwiches for her kids. I was more than a little surprised. She said the inevitable "Don't knock it until you've tried it." Um, okaaay. More surprise! I loved them!

    Bets R

    ReplyDelete